Thursday, April 22, 2010

The gift of Friends


The sweet smell of newly fallen rain, cool air, and a walk through the night with a dear friend. My life is one of great joys. Last night was an interesting night. After finals finished I had a let-down crash-down and was sick. I was exhausted and at the end of my line physically, mentally, and emotionally. Yesterday I played volleyball with some friends and as I slammed the craziness out of that ball, I began to feel better. The laughter and sight of friends all around me, living life in such a way that joy was often present, I felt better. Then something changed. I'm not sure exactly what, but the joy faded, the excitement diminished, I was tired, and my shoulders drooped once again. I didn't know what to do. I sat in front of my house, despising the thought of going to bed with such a feeling, yet desiring so much to just sleep and shut out the world. I texted a friend and requested an audience in the cool night air, just to get out and walk. This dear friend, though it was late, and cold, I think could sense my mood (this friend had been playing volleyball earlier as well), and accepted. We walked through the cool, damp air and talked. We joked, we laughed, my shoulders lifted, my heart was light again. The blessing of having true friends, who listen to the spirit and are willing to serve, is, to me, one of the greatest gifts given to us here in mortality. To feel that love and safety in the company of others... This is joy.

1 comment:

Mariah said...

It is so true. True friends are so important!!! They know exactly what to say. Love you :)